Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fish Course, Club Vass, The Skaf's and The Cruise

15/6/09

2311 (local time)

Fantastic!! Im absolutely having a ball overseas at the moment! It feels as if everything is going my way!

Ok well ill start with the finishing of my flying fish course! It was a pretty amazing experience! Getting taught by some amazing instructors!

So after four weeks, it had finished and now I’m currently a Start Windsurf Instructor! So I’m qualified to teach beginners how to windsurf. During my four week course, my aim was to make a good impression upon all the Club Vass staff. So on my first day of arriving to my flying fish course, I went there and introduced myself, and straight away asked if they needed any help.

For the rest of the four week course, I always made an effort to help out, either carrying peoples sails from the beach, or helping them de-cage the sails and boards.

By the third week, one of the owners of Club Vass, arrived so I waited around to ask him for a job.

The thing that makes it hard to get a job in Vass, is that it is a UK based company, which means that only people with a British Passport and a British Bank Account are allowed to work there, and since I don’t have either of those, it makes it quite hard for me to find a job, as Club Vass can be fined heavily if the tourist police arrive and find out that I’m working for them.

So my job at Club Vass involves working the sail rack, helping out in the beach hut and tonight... I helped out in the kitchen cooking and washing up for a free meal... It was awesome, lots of fun and really exciting.

Right... but more importantly, the Skaf’s arrived on Friday, from Athens on a round Europe trip for a month. Seeing them was fantastic... I had been looking forward to seeing them since I arrived in Vassiliki. Anyway, on Friday it was my last day of the Fish course so it was the testing and evaluation day, this was also the day that it blew about 40 – 45 knots... (for people that don’t understand that, 45 knots, will blow dogs off chains) it was bloody windy! So all of the on water stuff got cancelled... and as a funny joke, the Flying Fish trainers pulled an epic joke on us, and convinced most of us that we were going to have to re-sit the last day because it was just too windy... lucky it was just a joke... Anyway, sorry I got sidetracked again... On Friday the Skaf’s rocked up, Leanne spotted me first as I got off the water in my ‘smurf’ wetsuit. It was great to see them because all day I was waiting for them.

Anyway, that night it was the Club Vass BBQ, and even though Jess and I missed most of it, because I cooked dinner for Jess. Anyway, Jess was able to see the entertainment of the night. It was called the plate dance, I’m pretty sure the photos will indicate what it was all about.

Right, so the next day it was a pretty cruisey day with a light onshore wind, I thought it would be a cool idea to take Jess sailing on a Hobie 16. We boosted out, and got her sailing around. It was loads of fun... I had Jess steering and everything, we were a pretty top crew!

For the rest of the day, we chilled out and just took it easy.

On Sunday, Leanne booked our ferry tickets to Scorpios Island and Meganissi Beach, which is pretty much, head out of Vassiliki Bay and turn left and just go...

It was awesome, it involved chilling on a boat, getting rid of my ridiculous watch tan, doing plenty of swimming, checking out some caves, hanging out on a beach, eating some food, sleeping in a really unstable hammock, seeing some dolphins, watching Jess get a red nose and looking like Rudolf and then getting back to Vassiliki at 6pm on the dot, ready for me to go for a easy 1.5 hour windsurf... Really, how can your day get any better... well it did. I had a huge hamburger for my dinner and found the apartment where I’m staying this week. But, I had to be ready, tomorrow was going to be my first day at work, but on sad note, the Skaf’s were leaving.

Well, I had a lovely sleep in my new apartment, not to sure how long I’m staying there for, but what I do know is that I have a huge pool outside of my apartment, on the inside, I have two single beds, a TV that doesn’t pick up any stations, an air conditioner that doesn’t turn on, but I do have my own small little kitchen! Its pretty awesome! I’m impressed with it.

Anyway, I got up bright an early for my first day at work, all the boys were giving me a hard time but all in good fun. The only thing that sucked, is that I knew at 9ish the Skaf’s were going to arrive to say their goodbyes. It was a pretty sad part of the day, because I probably won’t see anyone from home for ages...

Later that day, I realised that the ‘Ginge Ninge’ aka Ian was coming that day. Ian is one of the boys I sail with out in Melbourne to work a good part of the season at the Dive Centre that is right next door. Its cool hanging out with someone from back home, trying to out-do each other with different tricks. He has brought a custom board that he made back at home, over here, so I’m looking forward to giving it a red hot shot.

Anyway, I had an absolutely awesome day, with plenty of sailing time.

The Vulcans are defiantly there, so im looking on to Spocks now! Cant wait!

Hope everyone is well! Chat soon guys!

Steve

PS: Enjoy the photos and feel free to drop some comments! I really enjoy reading them J





Seeing Jess and Leanne for the first time... in my smurf wetsuit!


The plate dance... nuff said!


Jess and Leanne on the ferry!


I took the photo using Jess's camera... i think it wins photo of the year award!



Another photo i took... again photo of the week award!
Looking out toward Vassiliki Bay!


I think this is Megannisi beach... not sure! just off Vassiliki bay.



In my new Hawks top... hanging with Jess at her hotel!



Hanging with Jess next door to her hotel!



Looking out at Vassiliki Bay!



Jess and Leanne looking out at Club Vass Resort!


Having a cheap feed, at the local restraunt!



Getting ready to start our epic adventure on the ferry!



Always causing trouble on the ferry!



Jess and me having a dip at Skorpious beach...

Having a glance over the menu... Omlette for me that day!



Post Omlette, having a nice nap, in the unstable hammok!

Hows work going dad... this is the med!


What a legend!



Jess in her greek godeess robe!


2 comments:

  1. Do you want to swap spots??? I could live there forever!!!!!

    Glad to hear from you again mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say could not stop shuddering at that spider photo (regardless of whether it was good photography or not).I would have been running screaming in the opposite direction!!! How huge is its body!!! ewwwwww.
    It is sooooooo cold here, and in all your photos it looks so warm!!!! JEALOUS.
    So happy for you that Jess and Leanne came to visit....my favourite part of my overseas trip was when Jayne came over to join me...its not the same unless you get to share it with someone from home :)
    speak soon,
    be safe, eat well, see lots, and watch out for sharks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete