Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Marathon!

06-04-09
1100 (local time)
Yesterday (05-04-09), I also went of a bit of a trek, just by myself this time. With the Acropolis pass you are entitled to view all different types of tourist attractions, so today, I went back up near the Acropolis, but instead of going in, instead I walked around the outside of it, and just looked at the size of the walls. It was kinda cool, because I was actually looking up at the wall, that protected the people of Athens, when under attack. I took loads of photos, whilst walking around I found another one of the many theatres of Athens, back in the day when they were used they had reserved seats for the kings and peasants, its pretty cool, looking at where the king used to sit.
After that, I then visited the Zeus Olympiad, which I thought was the coolest thing of the whole trip, it apparently took over 700 years to build. There are 15 huge columns that are 17metres high, unfortunately one is lying on the ground, due to a huge gale that hit the town in 1852. Leading into the Zeus Olympiad you can walk under a huge “gate” that is called Hadrian’s Arch, it was intended to be used as a city gate marking, of the boarder of the roman cities. So on one side of the gate on the North Western Side, it reads “This is Athens, the ancient city of Theseus” and on the other side it reads “This is the city of Hadrian, and not of Theseus”.
After I’d visited the Zeus Olympiad, I was stuff and I we getting a blister from walking so much, so I attempted to walk home, but due to my poor lack of direction, I ended up in, what I think… was Athens first funeral, it as pretty amazing looking at all the graves, but in the end, it just got depressing. So I attempted to walk home, and eventually found my way home and just crashed!!!
That night, I was invited out with the Brazilians to a dinner with some of their friends, we ended up getting home at 4am in the morning and I was totally out of petrol. Had a good sleep though.

No comments:

Post a Comment